Tuesday, July 8, 2008

That God...he's so tricky. :)

So, I have a couple of pictures to post, but I don't have the time or energy to do it tonight. :)However, I thought I'd let y'all in on a little something that happened while Christopher and I were in Atlanta over the weekend.
The whole reason we went was to celebrate our second wedding anniversary a little early. We got there on Friday and just came back today (Tuesday). We had some fun things planned, one of which was to go to Buckhead Church on Sunday morning. I am really, really inspired by some good old praise and worship music and my memory had been jogged by a friend about this church and how great it was. So we decided to get up and go on Sunday morning.
I had printed off directions from Mapquest, plus Christopher and I had borrowed a GPS for the trip. We were running a few minutes behind what I would have preferred and we started following the directions, which appeared to be the same. I was a little snappy and anxious about trying not to be late. And I don't like to drive when Christopher and I are together...I just like to give directions. :) Well, Christopher didn't take a turn that I was instructing him, ever so gently and with such a great amount of kindness (NOT!) to take and we ended up a little turned around. Thanks to the GPS, we got our bearings back, and were going down a road that we had been travelling and were somewhat familiar with. He was silent. I said, "What's your problem", we shared a married people argument about how you should have done this and I couldn't because you told me too late. I'm sure you can all imagine. :)
ANYWAY. We were going down the road in the Buckhead area and we couldn't find the building, which I had seen a picture of on the directions I had printed out. We finally got to where the GPS stated "Arriving at your destination on the left" and shows you the little checkered flag. Yay! We're finally here!
We parked in a small parking lot, which seemed a little off to me because the church website mentioned 3 different parking garages. Hmmmm.
We walked into the front doors of the church and were greeted by a very small group of people. Hmmm. Now, I know this is an extremely large church.
We seated ourselves in the "sanctuary", which consisted of about 100 folding chairs and a stage with several rock-type musical instruments, a sound board at the back, and a screen at the front left, with a PowerPoint slide of a really cool photo and the sermon series advertisement. Hmmm.
People trickled in and were seated. I said, "Christopher, I'm kinda confused. Nothing seems to be matching up with what my perception of this church was going to be." He agreed. I went outside for a couple of minutes and checked the address on the building.
No way.
We were at the completely wrong place. What do you do??? Church was about to start and the preacher, who seemed super-cool, had already come up to us and introduced himself. The music started and it was really cool music from the Passion series. So of couse, we just stayed put!
And boy, am I glad we did.
When the preacher got up to do the sermon, he announced that they had been going through the book of James. When he announced the scripture, I quickly skimmed it, smiled, and showed it to Christopher with some serious conviction. Let me quote it for you...
"What causes fights and quarrels among you?
Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?
You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet,
but you cannot have what you want.
You quarrel and fight." James 4:1-2 (NIV)
How fully aware am I of the fact that I am selfish and prideful. My husband is so special and kind. And I realize that I sometimes take his passive nature as a signal for me to just run over him. How dare me to be that way! I am so thankful for Christopher and how much meaning that he has added to my life. And I am also so, so thankful that I serve a God who keeps me in check, even in the most "accidental" kind of way.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Moral of this story: Don't let your husband drive and don't trust those GPS things. :-)

Just kidding. That's a neat story.

Anonymous said...

God is good. This is a cute story!

amjackson said...

What a great story....AND THE POSTS.....I can't believe you have actually been posting. I can tell you don't have much work to do this summer!! :)

amyop said...

What a great story!!! God is very sneaky at times! Usually at the best times:) Miss you

Anonymous said...

I just happened to be scrolling down my internet sites and came upon your blog and though Id see what you were up too, I'm glad I did. I loved that story. What a great memory to share. I can't wait to visit the aquarium after seeing your pictures. Good Luck with your school year:)